Dear Children,
Polar Bear convinced me this year that he should take up farming--namely that it would be a good idea to add chickens to our roster of inhabitants at the North Pole!
I was not so easily convinced. What is good about chickens other than eggs?
I had a ready list of what is wrong with them:
Number one being that they POOP. EVERYWHERE.
They shed feathers
They smell
They peck
They devour any grass you might be so lucky to get up here at the North Pole.
I resisted mightily. "No!" "Not." "Never!" I said. "Besides who will build them a coop?"
The next morning:
. . . and a note from Polar Bear:
- Eggs
- Companionship
- Poop = fertilizer
- They will eat and compost all kitchen scraps and rotten foods (except chicken and eggs!)
- THEY EAT MOSQUITOES.
I was sold at #5.
Now that the Arctic ice is melting every summer, we have a terriblemosquito problem and we can't spray for them--it kills the fragile tundra plants and flowers. There are virtually no natural predators of bugs up here (we haven't had any for 1000s of years and apparently no one has told the birds yet that this is mosquito heaven. But the mosquitoes know that. And I am their favorite lunch!
So I couldn't wait to have these new exterminators arrive.
We ordered 8 to start, and a rooster.
More tomorrow, children. I am exhausted.
Love,
S.

No comments:
Post a Comment