Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Dear Children,

I know it must be hard to imagine, but many, many nights--eighty-two--so far this year, to be exact--it gets so dark for so long, it is hard to imagine I will ever see another glorious bright blue sky.

The world is so gray with clouds that I don't suspect the fluffy white cotton balls that pass overhead in the summer will ever reappear.  And the only light that approaches the earth, besides the dull white distant glow of sun--far away to the South--are the pin pricks of white twinkle from stars that are so remote in distance and time, they'e long forgotten that they set out to visit us here on Earth.

Dark.

Dark.

Cold.

Into this dark we invite the cheer of Christmas and all the winter celebrations.  Hanukkah, Solstice, Devali.  Light, smiles, giggles and laughter of children and mothers.  And when we raise that cheer and open our hearts, we sometimes may find we notice all sorts of light.

It was just such a time that I chanced to see the best Northern Lights in all my life.  I will tell you about them next time.  For now, think about light.  Light in your days, in your love for your mothers and family, and light in your own hearts.  I hope that light chases the dark and the shadows away today and that you are nearer to your twinkling stars.

Love,
Father Christmas (aka. S.)

No comments:

Post a Comment